Information Communication Technology as the name implies refers to a set of devices invented majorly to spread information and also technological tools to enhance smooth communication. ICT involves tools such as mobile phones, computers, laptops, radios, televisions, projectors, and a whole lot of others purposely created to pass information across in a modern way.
We need technology in every classroom and in every student and teacher’s hand, because it is the pen and paper of our time, and it is the lens through which we experience much of our world.David Warlick
Generally, we can testify to the impact of ICT as communication has never been any way better. It has paved the way for smooth relationships, diverse economic development, job opportunities, rural/urban development, socialization and has served a great purpose educationally.
It is no news that for over a year, the Covid19 pandemic has expanded the excess use of ICT. Schools employed the use of online classes even till date, offices also adopted working remotely as people were mandated to sit at home. Operations didn’t stop neither were they jeopardized or threatened because of the lockdown/sit at home order or pandemic instead it took another dimension. A new dimension that has clearly changed the narrative.
The use of ICT for educational purposes has eradicated oblique activities, it has enabled knowledge to be acquired to any level and also developed tools to aid smooth and easy learning. Students now participate in numerous computer activities even at the youngest age connecting learning to real-life situations. ICT has been applied in so many ways educationally; assessment, instruction, learning had developed rapidly and smoothly due to the accurate use of ICT.
…the thing is ‘mobile sets learning free’ and we can now learn virtually anything, anywhere and anytime and that’s amazing.RJ Jacquez
We don’t have to travel a long distance before acquiring a skill or developing ourselves digitally because ICT has made learning available anytime and anywhere. It has expanded access to several stages of growth in different factions, knowledge is no longer static.
EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES OF ICT
1. ICT has enabled massive development in the area of learning apparatus. Nowadays science practicals have taken a u-turn as it is no longer as stressful as it was in times past. Laboratories are set up in schools to further experiment with what has been taught theoretically; materials are also made available to buttress points and put into use when necessary.
2. ICT has enhanced collaborative learning in a distance-learning environment. Students now have the opportunity to share ideas, communicate, work collectively on school projects even outside school walls. A very good example is the e-learning platform where students can deliberate together simultaneously on a topic discussion.
Even tutors make use of this platform for training and teachings. It has broadened their learning experience giving them new ideas to be creative and to also develop concepts.
Together students can acquire knowledge, analyze problems they encounter, share experiences, and also express how they feel about the success of their career.
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.Alvin Toffler
3. ICT supports teaching and learning quality, it has channeled direct access to course contents. Tutors and students are on a similar platform where ideas can be shared and learning is delightful.
4. ICT has made assimilation easy and smooth, it has encouraged students to think critically and creatively. Students now develop applications and software making education very simple to access.
5. ICT has created applications and software for students to learn how to use even before entering the labor market. Applications such as Microsoft Office which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and others have enabled easy typing, smooth data analysis, and project presentations respectively. Corel draw, photoshop are applications students can use for graphic design and editing.
In education, technology can be a life-changer, a game-changer, for kids who are both in school and out of school.Queen Rania of Jordan
6. ICT assists students in accessing information digitally efficiently and effectively. Information can be reached at any end at any point in time, students are not left in the dark about what their career entails. They can constantly research and make moves even before they are taught in classrooms.
7. ICT has provided a platform for self-centered learning in the sense that students have access to materials online that they can view on their devices. It has also equipped them on how to use ICT appropriately; it has nurtured their skills in acquiring data and information from various sources.