Comparison between Data and Information deals on checking the similarities and dissimilarities.
Data are described as the facts or details from which information is derived. Individual pieces of data are rarely useful alone. For data to become information, data needs to be put into context.
There are some yardsticks for comparing data to information. Comparing data to information is based on the following:
1. Meaning: Data is raw, unorganized facts that need to be processed. Data can be something simple and seemingly random and useless until it is organized. While Information is when data is processed, organized, structured or presented in a given context so as to make it useful for its purpose.
2. Etymology (i.e. Origin/History): the word “data” is derived from a singular Latin word, datum, meaning “something given.” Its early usage dates back to the 1600s. Over time “data” has become the plural of datum. While
“Information” is an older word that dates back to the 1300s and has Old French and Middle English origins. It has always been referred to “the act of informing,” usually in regard to education, instruction, or other knowledge communication.
3. Example: A good example of data is the test score of each of the students in a class. This is one piece of data. While
A good example of information that can be derived from the given data is the average score of a class or of the entire school.
Read: 5 Secrets of a Successful School Administrator
4. Computer System: Data is used as input for the computer system. While Information is the output of data.
5. Processing: Data is unprocessed facts figures. While
Information is processed data.
6. Dependence: Data doesn’t depend on Information. While
Information depends on data.
7. Specification: Data is not specific.
While Information is specific.
8. Unit: Data is a single unit.
While Information is a group of data which carries news and meaning.
9. Logic: Data doesn’t carry a meaning. While
Information must carry a logical meaning.
10. Outcome/ End Results: Data is the raw material. While
Information is the product.
Also Read: Difference Between Information and Knowledge