Most schools in Nigeria have employed unique standards of operation best enough for them. The idea of single-sex and mixed-sex education practically refers to schools with either (boys only standard), (girls only standard), or (boy-girl standard). The advocacy and argument for either form of education have stirred huge reactions over the years.
Although we have supporters for both forms of education, it still hasn’t changed the narrative of acquiring knowledge.
Examples of single-sex schools in Nigeria are Kings College, Queens College, Igbobi College, Federal Girls College, etc. Examples of Mixed-sex schools in Nigeria are Greenspring Schools, Corona Schools, Honeyland Schools, Caleb International School, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF SINGLE-SEX EDUCATION
- It builds confidence as children feel empowered and courageous about tackling any difficulty
- It reduces distraction in sense that with both genders under one roof, there are going to be distractions
- It provide a relaxed ambiance for children’s interaction with their own gender
- It eradicates competition between both genders
- It promotes single-gender based teaching methods
DISADVANTAGES OF SINGLE-SEX EDUCATION
- It creates an awkward and difficult co-existence between both genders
- It disposes diversity in sense that both genders do not have the opportunity to listen to perspectives and gain a broader understanding of each other
- It could create room for homosexuality and other illicit behaviors that are single-gender based
- Single-sex education could create a feeling in children that one gender is superior to another therefore creating disparity
- Self-esteem might be on the verge of dropping drastically
- Inferiority complex
- Poor communication skills
ADVANTAGES OF MIXED SEX EDUCATION
- Builds cordial relationship between both genders
- Equal opportunities for learning
- Academic performance tends to be higher compared to single-sex education
- Extended social and academic interaction between both sexes
- It bridges the gap of gender equality
- It helps develop excellent communication skills
- It promotes socialization
DISADVANTAGES OF MIXED-SEX EDUCATION
- There’s a huge risk of creating intimacy at tender age
- Learning abilities progress slowly as the environment is not sidelined to a particular gender.