THE IMPORTANCE OF QUALITY EDUCATION IN OUR LIVES AND SOCIETY
Education has proven to be a stand-out amongst other ways of acquiring knowledge; if we go on and on, we can not enumerate the numerous values of education and the immeasurable impact it has provided in our lives and societies.
Quality education facilitates people to acquire all of their characteristics and abilities to fulfill their potential as human beings and units of society.
According to the Delors Commission (UNESCO, 1996): “Education is at the heart of both personal and community development; its mission is to enable each of us, without exception, to develop all our talents to the full and to realize our creative potential, including responsibility for our own lives and achievement of our aims.”
Furthermore, we can not but admit that in each of our day-to-day routines and societal activity, there is a need for quality education if we want a boost and positive results.
Quality education is a fundamental human right and an advantage to public advancement. Government and other public authorities should guarantee that a quality education service is made available and affordable to all citizens from early childhood into adulthood.
Quality education contributes to the institution for equity in society, it is one of the most basic public services. It does not only enlightens but also empowers citizens and enables them to contribute to the utmost length apparent to the social and economic advancement of their constituencies.
CHARACTERISTICS OF QUALITY EDUCATION
- Quality education promotes peace and unity amongst tribes
- It boosts economic development
- It promotes global relationship
- It fosters peace among neighboring/foreign countries
- It reduces the crime rate to a fault
- It creates room for valid identification of every individual
- It makes skill acquisition vulnerable
- It embraces wide use of technology/ICT
- It gives ideas on facing real-life situations
- It promotes democracy I.e freedom of speech, freedom of movement, franchise (the act to vote and be voted for), etc.
- It offers quality job opportunities
- It produces qualified elites in the society
- It curbs/reduces societal/political ills
- It manages critical national crises
- It engages citizens in fruitful and yielding business
- It reduces tribalism, nepotism, and favoritism
- It calls for checks and balances in obedience to the law and order in society.
Also read: THE CONNECTION BETWEEN EDUCATION AND WEALTH